How to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup on PC/Mac
Data on the iPhone can be lost at any time in various scenarios: accidental deletion, iOS upgrade or jailbreak failure, factory reset, system crash, broken device, etc. To help prevent data loss, Apple encourages users to regularly back up their iPhone data to iTunes or iCloud. Since you are reading this post, you may have backed up your iPhone to iTunes and need to perform a restore from iTunes backup for data recovery or other purposes. Read through this article to learn how to restore iPhone from iTunes backup, when should you do so, and what to do before restoring from an iTunes backup.
- Part 1. When Should Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup
- Part 2. What to Do before Restoring from iTunes Backup
- Part 3. How to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup on PC/Mac
- Part 4. How Long Does it Take to Restore from iTunes Backup
- Part 5. What If the iTunes Backup is Corrupted
- Extra Tip: How to Backup iPhone to Computer without iTunes
Part 1. When Should Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup
iTunes backup includes nearly all the data and settings of your iPhone. Restoring an iPhone from iTunes backup not only recovers data but also helps in many other cases. Here are some examples:
- When you change your old iPhone to a new one, restoring your new iPhone from the old iPhone’s backup store on computer helps you keep most of the vital data on the new iPhone.
- After your iPhone is reset to factory settings, restoring an iTunes backup to the new iPhone will reduce the data loss.
- When your iPhone has been lost, stolen or damaged, restoring from iTunes backup is an excellent way to get back the data on the original iPhone.
- You accidentally deleted or lost some crucial data like precious photos or essential contacts on iPhone.
Part 2. What to Do before Restoring from iTunes Backup
It is better to preview what is in the iTunes backup before you restore the iPhone from an iTunes backup, especially when you have several backups of different iOS devices on your computer. Restoring an old iTunes backup will overwrite the current data on your iPhone. If the backup doesn’t include the data you need, you may end up with losing recent data on your device. However, iTunes backup is encrypted fragments and not human-readable.
In this case, you can turn to a third-party tool like Gihosoft iManager. This tool helps you easily locate, view, and manage iTunes backup on the computer. It also enables you to extract some files from iTunes backup to your computer selectively. To preview the iTunes backup, you can follow the steps below.
Step 1: Install and open Gihosoft iManager on your computer. After that, all the iTunes backup on your computer will be sorted out by date on the interface.
Step 2: Select one iTunes backup, and then click on the icon of the file type you want to preview. All the related files will be presented to you.
If you just want to recover some data from the iTunes backup, you might as well click the Export option at the top of the interface to extract the data to your computer. This way you don’t need to restore your iPhone from the backup stored computer.
Part 3. How to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup on PC/Mac
After preview the iTunes backup and decide which one to use, there is still one thing to be done before you restore the iPhone from iTunes backup. You need to disable the “Find My iPhone” feature on your iPhone first. To do so, go to Settings app on iPhone > tap on [your name] > iCloud > Find My iPhone. Switch off the toggle of Find My iPhone. Now you can start with the restoring.
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer, and run the iTunes.
- Step 2: Click on the iPhone icon, and then the “Summary” option from the pane on the left side.
- Step 3: Click the “Restore Backup” button under the Backups section.
- Step 4: Select the iTunes backup you want from the pop-up window, and click on the “Restore” button.
On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, iTunes has been replaced with three all-new apps – Apple Music, Apple TV and Apple Podcasts. You need to back up or restore the iPhone with the help of Finder. This is not very different from backing up or restoring your iPhone with iTunes.
- Step 1. Open Finder on your macOS Catalina 10.15.
- Step 2. Connect your iPhone to the Mac using a USB cable.
- Step 3. When your device appears in the sidebar of the Finder window, select it. If prompted, trust your device.
- Step 4. Select Restore Backup and choose a relevant backup from the small popup window.
- Step 5. Click Restore to confirm and wait for the process to finish.
Part 4. How Long Does it Take to Restore from iTunes Backup
Generally, the process of restoring an iPhone from iTunes backup should not take an overlong time. But sometimes it happens that restoring the iPhone from iTunes takes several hours or even 20 hours. Two factors influence the time. One of them is the size of your backup. The larger is the size of your backup, the longer the time it takes to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup. The other one is the network. If your network is unstable, it will take a longer time. If it takes an exceedingly long time to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup, you can try the tips below to fix such a problem.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the computer and reconnect.
- Update the iTunes to the latest version.
- Restart your iPhone or computer.
- Reconnect the network or change to a more stable network.
Part 5. What If the iTunes Backup is Corrupted
If you accidentally move, edit, or delete some files of the iTunes backup, the backup can get damaged. And you are not allowed to restore your iPhone from a corrupted iTunes backup. In this case, you can restore an iCloud backup to your iPhone instead.
Sometimes you may not even have a backup in iCloud. Don’t fret, you can use some third-party iPhone data recovery software to retrieve deleted data on your device.
Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery is a great recommendation to you, which enables data recovery from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch directly with no backup required. The recoverable data include photos, videos, contacts, messages, notes, WhatsApp and many other app data. It supports the latest iOS 13/iPadOS and iPhone 11/11 Pro/XS/XS Max/XR.
- Step 1: Open this program on your computer, then mark the file types you want to recover.
- Step 2: Connect your iPhone to the computer and click Next to start the scanning.
- Step 3: When it finishes scanning, all the scanned files will be list in categories. You can click each category to preview related data. Tick the files you need and click Recover to export the data to your computer.
Extra Tip: How to Backup iPhone to Computer without iTunes
Sometimes you may bump into errors when connecting iPhone to iTunes and cannot solve it for a while. Then you can make use of Gihosoft iManager to back up your iPhone to computer without iTunes. It also allows you to access and export specific data inside iTunes backup without restoring it to your iPhone.
- Open the program your iPhone, then connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Once your device is detected, click the Backup Now button to start the backup process. You can click Change Backup Location to backup your iPhone to external drive or any places you like.
- When the backup is completed, click on any file type icon to view the data in details and export them to readable formats.
Restoring the iPhone from an iTunes backup can be helpful in different scenarios like recovering lost data and solving system glitches. However, restoring from an iTunes backup will result in the existing data on your iPhone being overwritten by the backup contents. Thus, it is better to check if the iTunes backup includes the data you need with a third-party like Gihosoft iManager before you restore the iPhone from you backup on computer. We hope this guide can help you succeed in restoring iPhone from iTunes backup. If you have any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comment section below.
Author: gihosoftHow to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup on PC/Mac